Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- STOP THE RETURN OF TRUMPCARE. TrumpCare is back and Republicans are as close as they’ve ever been to passing it. There are 12 days left for the Senate to ram healthcare through reconciliation with just 50 votes. This is TrumpCare’s last stand. Call your senators ASAP and tell them to vote no on “Graham-Cassidy” using all the latest resources at TrumpCareTen.org.
- Don’t let Trump use fear to trample on civil liberties. We stand in solidarity with those impacted by the horrific acts of violence in London. We also condemn Trump’s knee-jerk rhetoric and irresponsible exploitation of this moment to promote expanding his bigoted Muslim ban. Find out what you can do to resist the Muslim ban at nomuslimbanever.com.
- Continue pressuring MoCs for a clean DREAM Act. Democratic Leaders Pelosi and Schumer continue to cultivate their cozy relationship with Trump. Last week, they announced a deal (to make a deal) on the DREAM Act with Trump. Contact your MoCs and use our call scripts to tell them that you want to see a “clean” DREAM Act.
- Tell your representative to protect people with disabilities and vote no on H.R. 620. We really shouldn’t even have to say this (that’s how outrageous this bill is), but we need you to call your representative and tell them to vote no on H.R. 620 should it come to the House floor for a vote. As noted by Human Rights watch, this bill “would very deliberately undermine the protections afforded under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)” and would “dramatically increase the burden on any person with a disability who seeks to vindicate their rights.”
- Blue state/red state calling tool is back: help fund calls to stop TrumpCare once and for all. We’re pulling out all the stops to end the latest reincarnation of TrumpCare. And we need your help to sponsor a call tool that will connect Indivisibles across the country with progressive constituents in Alaska, Arizona, Tennessee, and West Virginia, to encourage them to call their Senators.
TrumpCare is back. REPEAT: TrumpCare is back. We really hoped we’d never have to say that, but you should know by now that this is the bill that just won’t die. Because of the rules of reconciliation, the special process Republicans are using to jam TrumpCare through the Senate, they have until September 30 to finish the job of repealing the Affordable Care Act. That gives them 12 more days to make good on their seven year promise to repeal the Affordable Care Act. And nothing motivates Congress like a deadline.
Let’s be clear: TrumpCare by any other name is still TrumpCare. The “Graham-Cassidy” bill destroys Medicaid as we know it, hurts people with pre-existing conditions, and takes away funding that helps people afford insurance. It then creates “block grants” to give states far less money than they need and has no accountability that the money will actually help people get affordable health care. And to top off this monstrous bill? Every. Last. Dollar. Disappears. After. 2026.
Republicans already have a plan. Graham-Cassidy TrumpCare bill has already been sent to the Congressional Budget Office for a score — step one in moving the bill forward (check out our explainer). And last Thursday, over turkey sandwiches at their caucus lunch, Republicans developed a plan for passing this zombie TrumpCare bill. Leader McConnell is whipping votes and rearranging the Senate calendar to make room for one final push.
And he’s hoping you won’t even notice.
Once again, it’s up to you to kill TrumpCare. You did this before. Just a few weeks ago, thanks to your tireless (and loud) constituent power, you killed TrumpCare. And now, millions of people are depending on you to do it again.
TrumpCareTen.org is back (use it). We dusted off TrumpCareTen.org with all of the latest materials for you to take action and #KillTheBill. Find the latest scripts for your senators, our key target states with contact information for key congressional staff, and more. Republicans have 12 days left to jam this bill through, so start making calls now! Use TrumpCareTen.org to find your Senators’ contact info, call them, and tell them you want them to kill TrumpCare for good… and you’ll be watching their vote.
Tune in to Facebook Live tonight at 8:30 PM ET/5:30 PM PT
This week on Capitol Hill (walking, chewing gum, we get it!)
Keep calling for a clean DREAM Act. Democratic Leaders Pelosi and Schumer continue to cultivate a cozy relationship with Trump. This week, they announced a deal (to make a deal) on the DREAM Act with Trump. With little information about what may have been agreed to, there is risk that DREAMers are being used as bargaining chips to expand Trump’s mass deportation machine. Use standup.indivisibleguide.com to find call scripts, a letter to the editor tool, and the latest state-specific information. Then, call your MoCs to let them you won’t settle for anything but a “clean” DREAM Act.
Protect people with disabilities and tell your representative to vote no on H.R. 620. Last week, the House Judiciary Committee approved a bill that “would dramatically increase the burden on any person with a disability who seeks to vindicate their rights” by changing the Americans With Disabilities Act to make it harder for people with disabilities to seek justice. And the bill could be coming to a vote on the House floor soon. Right now, under the ADA, businesses open to the public are required to make themselves accessible to people with disabilities (think: hospitals, restaurants, and hotels). If they don’t, a person with disabilities can take them to court or file a complaint with U.S. Department of Justice. That all changes under this horrible bill.
As unbelievable as this all is… wait for it… this bill has 12 Democratic cosponsors (this week’s WTF moment).
Tell your representative that, should H.R. 620 come to the floor, you expect them to protect people with disabilities and vote no. And, if your MoCs are on this bill’s list of cosponsors, you should demand an explanation of why they’re in favor of weakening the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Don’t let Trump use fear and bigotry to trample on civil liberties. We stand in solidarity with those impacted by the horrific act of violence in London Friday morning. We also condemn Trump’s knee-jerk rhetoric and irresponsible exploitation of this moment to tweet about the need to be “nasty” and not “politically correct.” He even used the tragedy to promote expanding his bigoted Muslim ban. Fear is no excuse to trample rights. Find out how you can take action to resist the Muslim Ban and plan how you’re going to show up between now and the October 10th Supreme Court hearing at nomuslimbanever.com.
Generate thousands of constituent calls in key states to kill TrumpCare
“Graham-Cassidy” – the name of the new TrumpCare bill – is real, and it’s scary. We need a bump in support this week so we can pull out all the stops to shut. it. down. TrumpCare dies if they fail to pass it by September 30th – that’s their deadline. We have just days to beat it, and here’s what we’re going to do with your help:
We’re bringing back the red state/blue state calling tool to amp up the pressure. Tomorrow, we’ll give all Indivisibles a super effective calling tool so those from red states, blue states, and purple states alike can take action to stop this bill by reaching out to progressive constituents in our four target states: Alaska, Arizona, Tennessee, and West Virginia. The calling tool will connect you to a constituent in a target state and give you a script to emphasize the devastating impact of this bill. Then, you’ll ask them to call their Senator on the spot.
This tool will help make the wave of constituent pressure we need to stop this bill once and for all. During the last TrumpCare fight, 1,000 Indivisible volunteers made more than 100,000 calls to constituents in key states in just a couple days. We beat it then and we can beat it for good now.
We got a good deal on this calling tool, but it’s not free. If you can chip in just $26, that will fund 40 five-minute conversations. Your support today will allow us to fund thousands of more constituents to pressure their Senators in key states.
As always, thank you for your support. With your help, we can stand Indivisible to kill TrumpCare again and protect the futures of 800,000 immigrant youth.