Last week, Republicans completed Phase 1 of their #TrumpTaxScam. Both chambers have now passed budget resolutions needed to unlock the reconciliation process (the same process they tried to use to ram zombie healthcare through, read about it here), allowing them to pass this dumpster fire of a bill with just a simple majority.
But a groundswell of constituent support could spook vulnerable Republicans and stop this thing altogether.
Republicans are expected to unveil the full text of their tax bill on Wednesday, after months of speculation. Two memos (one 1-page memo and one 6-page memo to rewrite our entire tax code!) showed early on that “tax reform” is nothing more than giveaways for Donald Trump and his buddies.
Here’s what we know already about the #TrumpTaxScam:
🔮 GOP donors, Wall Street, and the Trump family have looked into their crystal ball and see dollar signs and cuts to social programs. The Bush Tax Cuts in 2001 and 2003 were also passed through reconciliation… and they exploded the deficit. Bush turned right around and fought to privatize Social Security. That was no coincidence. Once the GOP passes their tax cuts, it’ll balloon the deficit and they’ll demand cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security.
👾 No, really. The GOP wants tax cuts more than anything. That’s why they tolerate the monster in the White House. Republicans still don’t have a major legislative victory because you (yes YOU!) have out-organized them at every step of the way. And the GOP cares about this a lot more than they care about healthcare repeal because tax “reform” puts more money in their pockets. They’ve been waiting for 8 years, and they’re tolerating Trump’s abuse, just for this moment.
💀 We can, and must, kill this bill with constituent power. The tax fight and the healthcare fight are the SAME FIGHT (read why here). And, just like with healthcare, we can defeat them with nationwide constituent power. On your home turf. On the phone. In DC. Your voice can shape this fight. If we kill this bill, we’ll not only deny Trump yet another win, but we’ll also demoralize the GOP and dry up their campaign contributions. Win. Win. Win.
OK, now here’s the fun part. This is how we defeat the #TrumpTaxScam:
Republicans are already struggling to get this bill off the ground. The House had 20 Republicans defect during their vote on the budget resolution teeing up the Tax Scam. And they lost a key ally over the weekend when the National Association of Home Builders announced its opposition because Republicans have taken away mortgage deductions, arguably the most popular tax deduction. If we demonstrate widespread opposition to their bill from the beginning — if we show up, if we make calls, if we write letters to the editor, if we out organize them — we can control the narrative. We can, and we will, win.
Who are the targets? Good question. EVERY STATE, every Member of Congress is a target. We beat TrumpCare because we demonstrated a massive wave of opposition in every corner of the country. The Trump Tax Scam deserves the same level of attention from coast to coast and everywhere in between.
Here’s what we need to start building a groundswell of opposition to this bill:
- National Call In Day, 11/2: After Republicans drop their bill on Wednesday, we’ll email you with our full analysis, call scripts, and contact information so you can let your MoCs how you feel about their scammy bill. Many of our national allies are planning a national call in day on Thursday, November 2, so mark your calendars, start reading call scripts (click here for your Democratic MoCs and here for your Republican MoCs), and get ready to light up those phone lines!
- National Week of Action to defeat the #TrumpTaxScam, 11/6 to 11/10: Republicans will mark their tax bill up in the House the week of November 6. At the same time, Indivisible Groups across the country are coordinating a National Week of home turf events to put hard, consistent pressure on their MoCs from the get-go. Indivisible Groups are planning events now and we’ll email you next Sunday with events in your area! Or if you want to host your own, register it here!
We have a hard fight ahead of us. So read up on our #TrumpTaxScam explainers, find or plan an event in your area, and rest up. If this fight feels big and scary and you’re not sure we can win, all we have to say is: Yes. We. Can.
Tune in to Facebook Live
A quick note on the Mueller investigation
Today, special counsel Robert Mueller is expected to formally indict one or more people related to Russia meddling in the 2016 Presidential election. There are a lot of unknowns at this point — Who could be indicted? Will Trump fire Mueller? Will Trump issue pardons?
If Trump fires Mueller or pardons indictees, we’ll need to respond rapidly and, as always, we’ll have almost-immediate analysis and ways to take action should that happen. For now, our eyes are on what’s in our control: stopping the #TrumpTaxScam.
Four more things you can do this week:
The #TrumpTaxScam is the main priority this week (until we send it to the grave for good!), but there are a ton of other important things moving. Here are four other things you can do this week to resist the Trump Administration:
- Help Virginia turn blue. Virginians go to the polls next Tuesday in the first state-wide elections since Trump was elected. This is the first real test of our movement’s ability to turn the resistance into electoral power and we. can. WIN. Our organizing team teamed up with Democracy for America and MoveOn.org to build a tool (similar to our blue state calling tool from the healthcare fight!) where you can call or text voters in Virginia to encourage them to vote. Sign up now to volunteer before election day!
- Don’t let Trump sabotage the Affordable Care Act. Trump and the GOP are doing whatever they can to sabotage the ACA through Executive Order, inaction, and misinformation. To combat the Trump Administration, we’ve built the most comprehensive website about open enrollment and we’re running an online campaign to get our resources in as many people’s hands as possible. Help fund our campaign to #stopthesabotage by chipping $27 now — $27 helps get our resources in the hands of 60 people!
- Looking for an IndivisiShirt? We’ve teamed up with the wonderful designers at Cotton Bureau to create our best-ever, for-purchase, size-inclusive Indivisible t-shirts (they’re pretty darn cute!). Act quickly though — they’re only available until November 10th! Visit Cotton Bureau’s website to buy a shirt now.
- In other news on Capitol Hill… From long-overdue CHIP Reauthorization and draconian anti-choice legislation, to unconstitutional spying and dangerous judicial nominees, we’ve got our work cut out for us. Our number one priority is stopping the Trump Tax Scam, but we know, we know… you can walk and chew gum at the same time. So there are four other ways you can resist Trump’s agenda this week, and we’ve got everything you need to take action here.
From defeating the #TrumpTaxScam to turning Virginia blue to giving tens of thousands of people resources to enroll in healthcare, we’re excited about the week ahead. This is one of our biggest weeks of resisting the Trump Administration to date and we’re so thrilled to do this side by side with you.
The Indivisible Team