The Senate comes back from recess today and they have one goal: pass tax cuts for their billionaire donors and wealthy families like the Trumps. That means we have just one weekly to-do for you this week: defeat the #TrumpTaxScam.
The Senate is expected to vote on the Motion to Proceed (a pre-vote vote) as early as Wednesday and they could take a final vote as early as Friday.
The only reason defeating this bill is remotely possible is because of you. With full control over both chambers of Congress and the White House, the Republicans’ agenda (health care repeal, this scammy tax bill, and more) should’ve been easy for them to pass. But at each and every turn, your constituent pressure has stopped them in their tracks. And the GOP is feeling the heat from their donors because you’ve ground their agenda to a halt.
Now, just like with healthcare, if we make some noise, show up, and put relentless pressure on our members of Congress, we can win. Here’s how we do it:
- Today, Indivisible groups are staging 50 sit-ins at their Senators’ offices and there are dozens more events planned this week (find an event here!).
- Show up to your Senator’s in-district office as often as you can between now and the vote. Use our event organizing guide to plan your event and then register your event so others can find it here.
Make a call.
- We’ve set up a toll-free number to make it easier to call your Senators at 1-855-980-2350. That number will connect you to one of your Senators and, if you call back again, it’ll automatically connect you to your other Senator.
- If you have a Republican Senator, use our call scripts to inform your conversation. Republicans need to hear just how much you hate this bill.
- If you have a Democratic Senator, they need to hear from you too! Use our call scripts for Democrats to encourage them to stand strong and voice their concerns about this bill.
Call progressives in key red states.
- You should always only contact YOUR Members of Congress (MoC). We’ve set up our popular peer-to-peer calling tool so that after you’ve called your MoC, you can reach out to progressives in red states, let them know how important their voice is in this fight, and connect them directly to their Senators.
- Sign up here to make calls using our peer-to-peer tool. You can make calls as much as you want from 9am to 9pm (local time) each and every day to progressives in Alaska, Arizona, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
This bill is bad, bad, bad (if you need a reminder of how bad it is, read up on it here). But we can stop it if we all show up the same way we did for healthcare.
Tune in to Facebook Live TONIGHT at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT
We have just 5 weeks left of 2017. Tune in tonight to hear about our priorities for the rest of the year: defeating the #TrumpTaxScam and fighting for a clean DREAM Act.
This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel:
In a show of bluster, Trump re-listed North Korea as a state sponsor of terrorism, a move that could escalate tensions and ruin chances for diplomacy. The Trump administration also ramped up strikes in Afghanistan, continuing a pattern of escalated global war and disregard for civilian lives. Secretary of State Tillerson is facing an internal revolt from career diplomats concerned that his allegiance to Trump’s so-called “America First” approach is violating important human rights laws. Read our running list of all the ways Trump is putting us at risk here.
Building a sustainable, indivisible movement
Taxes are our main policy focus for the next little bit. But as we approach our one-year anniversary (we can’t believe it!), we’re also spending some time thinking about the months and years ahead and how we build a strong, sustainable movement.
Starting this week, things are going to look a bit different around here! When we wrote the Indivisible Guide last December, we were so focused on keeping up with the incredible organizing happening on the ground that our “brand” was accidental. But, as we developed into an organization with full-time staff, 6,000 groups on the ground, and tens of thousands of people who take action each week, we realized needed to take our “brand” seriously.
We started out wanting something nostalgic. Traditional Americana. Something powerful. But as we went through concepts with flags and statues and fists raised in power, we kept coming back to one thing: you. Our brand was born in your living rooms and community centers. It was built by hundreds of thousands of people who showed up this year to make their voices heard, gathered around windows of a church because the meeting was standing room only.
You’ll begin to see the new brand and some other changes in the next few days. Starting tomorrow (it’s #GivingTuesday!), our emails will be streamlined, easier to read, and a bit prettier. On Wednesday, you’ll see our new logo appear on our website and social media. And soon, we’ll have IndivisiMerch for you to wear your IndivisiPride on your sleeve or purchase gifts for family and friends (just in time for the holidays!).
We’re excited to show you what we came up with… and, as always, we’re thrilled to build this movement with you day in and day out.
The Indivisible Team