Your weekly Indivisible to-dos:
- Congress will take a key #TrumpTaxScam vote this week. The House could vote on Wednesday or Thursday and the Senate begins markup of their bill today. Let’s light up those phone lines! Read our Democratic call scripts and our Republican call scripts and start making calls!
- We demand a clean DREAM Act. Now. Congress is running out of time to pass deportation relief for 800,000 young immigrants. We’re calling on members of Congress (MoCs) to take the DREAMer pledge. Use our call tool now to start ramping up the pressure!
- Join us on Facebook Live TONIGHT at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm ET to learn more about our plans for 2018. We’ll be joined by former Virginia Congressman and gubernatorial candidate Tom Perriello to discuss the amazing results from last Tuesday’s elections, and how we can take the lessons learned nationwide. Like us on Facebook now and you’ll get notified when we go live!
- Last call for our limited edition IndivisiShirts! The fine folks at Cotton Bureau have made a super soft, snazzy, size-inclusive t-shirts for Indivisibles. It’s your last chance to get them though — they’re only on sale until tonight at 8pm ET. Get your shirt now!
- 2018 is coming. And we’re taking the fight to every congressional district. Last Thursday, we launched Indivisible435, our plan to build electoral power at a scale that no other organization has ever achieved. Can you contribute $20.18 a month to support our electoral organizing throughout 2018 — from primaries to election day?
Wow. Last week was quite a week for our movement.
We rallied against the #TrumpTaxScam (you held more than 70 events during our week of action!)…
Some of your top Republican congressional targets announced their retirement from Congress (lookin’ at you Bob Goodlatte of Virginia’s 6th district and Lamar Smith of Texas’ 21st district)…
And Indivisibles pitched in to win critical elections in Virginia, Michigan, New Jersey, Washington state, Missouri, New York, and beyond…
Now it’s time to keep winning. This week, and for the next few weeks, we’re focusing our attention on two legislative efforts: defeating the #TrumpTaxScam and fighting for a clean DREAM Act. If we build enough constituent pressure, we can win both fights before the end of December, and kick off 2018 in control and ready to take back the House.
We can defeat the #TrumpTaxScam
The House will vote on the Trump Tax Scam Wednesday or Thursday. Republicans want to pass their tax bill fast so that no one knows what’s in it. During Committee mark up last week, Republicans released three different versions of legislative text to make their fuzzy math work and keep everyone confused about what exactly the bill does.
But there may be just enough hold outs on the Republican side to slow them down — if we keep up the pressure. Before your representatives vote this week, light up those phone lines!
- If you have a Democratic MoC, find our call scripts here or go straight to our call page to make a call right now. Tell them to hold strong and do everything they can to prevent the tax scam from passing.
- If you have a Republican MoC, find our call scripts here or go straight to our call page to make a call right now.
The Senate is right on their tails. Senate Republicans released a summary of their Trump Tax Scam — and they’re hiding their bill’s text too. That’s because they’re too afraid of your constituent pressure. The Senate Finance Committee begins mark up today and a vote on the Senate floor is expected right after Thanksgiving.
We’ve said it since the beginning: we can win this fight. But it’s going to take some loud, constant constituent pressure (you know the drill). Visit TrumpTaxScam.org for Tax Policy 101, call scripts, more in-district events, and everything you need to defeat this scammy, awful bill.
Next, get your MoC to take the DREAMer Pledge
Last Thursday, our friends at United We Dream and thousands of young people walked out of schools across the country to call for a clean DREAM Act — including in Washington DC, where hundreds of students took over every floor the Hart Senate office building! (Check out this amazing video captured by Senator Brian Schatz, D-HI!)
But now, the fight for a clean DREAM Act really heats up. Time is running out for DREAMers who received deferred deportation under an Obama-era executive order known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). DREAMers’ lives were upended in September when the Trump Administration ended DACA and kicked the can to Congress.
Congress has until March to act, but we can’t wait until then. Every day without a DREAM Act is a day where immigrant youth are placed at risk. Republican leadership has made it clear they don’t want to include the DREAM Act in their December funding bill (one of the last chances to pass some sort of relief).
Sens. Kamala Harris (D-NJ), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Bernie Sanders (I-VT), and Cory Booker (D-NJ), as well as Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MI), all announced they won’t support a government spending bill unless Republicans move forward with protections for DREAMers.
Ask your MoCs to take make the same pledge. Visit DREAMerPledge.org to find more information about how DACA impacts immigrant youth in your state and everything you need to contact your MoC and ask them to stand up for DACAmented youth. If you have Republican MoCs, let them know where you stand on DACA and that you’re watching. If you have Democratic MoCs, call on them to join their colleagues and play hardball for a clean DREAM Act now.
Tune in to Facebook Live TONIGHT at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT.
In other news on Capitol Hill…
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell scheduled a vote TODAY! to confirm Steven Bradbury for a position at the Department of Transportation. Bradbury is infamous for writing the Bush-era torture memos and should never serve in government again, especially under Trump — use our resource to call your Senator right now and tell them to vote no on Steven Bradbury!
This week’s #TrumpThreatLevel update:
Syria signed the Paris Climate Change Accord leaving the US as the one holdout. As Trump travels through Asia, he continues to goad North Korea via Twitter. And Trump issued an executive order rolling back President Obama’s efforts to restore diplomatic ties, travel and trade with Cuba. #TrumpThreatLevel, our running list of all the ways Trump is putting us at risk with his foreign policy decisions.
Last chance to get this IndivisiShirt!
The designers at Cotton Bureau extended the availability of our first for-purchase IndivisiShirt. This (soft, stylish, size-inclusive) shirt is only available until tonight at 8pm ET.
For every shirt purchased through Cotton Bureau, Indivisible gets as much as $10 back. That means the more shirts we sell, the more money that goes right back into supporting our movement, so buy one now!
2018 is coming: New year, new Congress
Last week, we launched Indivisible435, a nationwide electoral campaign advocating for progressive values and candidates in every single congressional district across the country. And the results in Virginia show that we’ve built the power necessary take back the House in 2018, and the Senate and White House in 2020.
For decades, the political establishment has ignored races like those in Virginia as wholly unwinnable and pumped resources into campaigns in a narrow set of districts. And they’ve written off huge swaths of the American electorate. We’re here to say that’s no longer acceptable, and Indivisible435 is the antidote.
But, in order to build an electoral program on such a large scale — with electoral trainings that allow you to take ownership of elections in your community, access to voter contact and online voter registration tools, and non-stop resources and toolkits on issues ranging from Making an Endorsement to Electoral Politics 101 — we’re going to need to raise a lot of money each and every month.
No one has ever tried an election program this big before — and it’s only possible because of the power YOU have built in your communities over the last year. The progressive movement is energized, locally-led, and unapologetic in rejecting Trump’s style of hate and fear-mongering. And in 2017, we’ve shown that this movement has the energy to change elections and force candidates to reckon with us.
The Indivisible Team